If you are a foodie, you are on the right page. As you head on to becoming a septuagenarian, your appetite for food might decrease, or there might be a nagging thought at the back of your mind- Am I eating right?. When it comes to eating right, do you ensure that your first meal of the day is done right? Breakfast is the most important meal of the day after a whole night without food. It is necessary to nourish your body with the food and energy it needs. As your body ages, it might not be able to absorb all the nutrients as it used to and there is a danger of being malnourished. While your level of activity slowly reduces, your body still needs all the nourishment it can get, and it is weighty (pardon the pun) to create a well-balanced diet for yourself. The right food will help balance your blood sugar and stimulate your metabolism. Be creative with your food, create different combinations for each day of the week keeping in mind your dietary needs.
1. The Anda Funda Eggs are one of the best ingredients for you. Your body needs more protein to compensate for increased muscle loss. Eggs are rich in protein and can be cooked in various ways to suit your taste buds.
Spinach Omelette- Sauté spinach in a non-stick pan with a bit of salt until it wilts. In a bowl, beat a couple of eggs with salt and pepper and any herbs you prefer. Space the spinach evenly in the pan and pour in the whisked egg mixture. Cook until partially set and then flip with a spatula. Continue cooking for 2 minutes. Eggs and spinach contain nutrients that help to keep your eyes healthy and limit your risk of cataracts and macular degeneration.
2. Oatmeal and Fresh Fruits Oats are an excellent food choice since they make for quick preparations and are high on nutrients. Besides, oats can be combined with fresh fruits and dry fruits which not only add color but supply the necessary vitamins and dietary fiber. You can always choose a softer fruit that is easier to chew. If diabetic, avoid fruits that are sweeter.
Oatmeal Cookies- Soak deseeded dates in some warm water and grind to get a thick paste. In a mixing bowl take oats and any dry-fruits you would like to add. Add ground flaxseed and mix. Add the date paste and mix till it holds its shape. Mould them into small cookies and bake till crisp on the outside and chewy within. The cookies can be stored for nearly a month, and you can eat your fill every morning; best accompanied by a glass of cool milk. These cookies are full of antioxidants.
3. Tending to Your Sweet Tooth, the Healthy Way If you wish to give your day a sweet start, pancakes are a good idea. Using oat flour and whole grains are an even better idea. These grains reduce blood cholesterol levels and lower your risk of heart disease.
Pancakes or Waffles- While oats are a good source of fiber you can choose a specific brand that contains flax for extra fiber. Almonds and walnuts can increase the protein content. Grind the ingredients. Whisk a cup of milk and an egg and add sugar to taste. Then add the grains mixture. Pour the batter onto a heated non-stick pan. When the edges of the pancake lift off the pan, flip it and cook the other side for 2 minutes and enjoy them while hot. You may wish to drizzle some honey over the pancakes.
4. Barley (Sweet or Savoury) Barley hasnt gained much popularity as a breakfast item but prepared the right way it can turn your morning around. Besides providing dietary fiber, barley is useful for controlling blood sugar levels and its effects are seen up to 10 hours post your meal. These grains are rich in proteins, minerals, vitamins, amino acids as well as soluble and insoluble fibers.
Barley (sweet)- with banana and sunflower seeds (sweet)- Cook 1/3 rd cup pearl barley in 2/3 rd cup of water till the barley is transparent. Top it with banana slices, sunflower seeds, and honey or try new toppings.
Barley Upma (savory)- Cook your desired quantity of barley. Splutter mustard seeds, chilies, and urad dal. Lightly sauté chopped pieces of onions, capsicum, carrot, beans, and tomatoes and add the cooked barley. Add salt and a squeeze of lime to taste and garnish with coriander/curry leaves.
5. Tasty Toast Toast is one of the most staple meals for breakfast and is certainly one of the best. Choose fresh whole grain multi-grain bread that is higher in protein, vitamins, and fiber.
Toppings- Toast the bread to your liking. Some like it extra crisp. You can choose between sweet toppings like almond butter and pomegranate seeds and savory ones like olive oil, avocado, red pepper flakes, and oregano. Peanut butter and almond butter are good options when you want to add a bit of healthy fat.
Parting Thoughts Though your appetite might be smaller than before and there may be mornings when you just dont feel like having breakfast, think of these great easy options that can make your first meal fun and bright. A healthy breakfast regulates your metabolism and appetite and gives you that extra thrust of energy to motor on through the day.
Share this now :
Be a part of our evergreen community by joining us on our social media channels. Your presence will only help us grow bigger and serve you better. Stay in touch and interact with us on the channels below