“All we need in life is some love and lots of food. ”
Over the years, we go through different changes - physical as well as psychological. But, the one thing that remains constant is our love for food. We crave for mouth-watering dishes and love trying out different recipes too.
However, as we grow old, our body also requires adequate number of vitamins, proteins and nutrients. Since most seniors live alone, they have to prepare their own food. This can prove to be a challenging task and often results in negligence towards one’s health.
One of the easiest ways to overcome this challenge is to opt for simple and healthy recipes. There are a wide variety of nutritional snacks for the elderly that are tasty, delicious, and easy to prepare.
So, to help you on your journey to fitness, we have complied a list of the best quick and healthy recipes for senior citizens.
Parathas are probably India’s favorite breakfast dish. Besan Parathas are filled with fibre, iron and vitamins, which makes them one of the best nutritional snacks for the elderly.
-Whole wheat flour (1 cup)
- Low-fat curd (1 ½ tbsp)
- Roasted besan (½ cup)
- Ginger-green chilli paste (1 tbsp)
How to prepare Besan Parathas:
- First, use the whole wheat flour to roll a portion of the dough into small rounds
- Roll these rounds tightly and seal the open end at the centre
- Turn them around so that the sealed end faces upwards and again use the wheat flour to roll them into circles
- Place your paratha on a griddle (non-stick tawa)
- After a few seconds, turn it around and allow the other side to cook
- Now, use a pair of tongs to roast the paratha over an open flame until brown spots appear on it
- Your Besan Paratha is now ready. Serve it immediately.
This recipe was shared during Seniority’s Virtual Cooking Workshop for Seniors. A simple breakfast recipe that will leave you feeling fresh and energized in the morning. You can also prepare this healthy snack during your evening tea time.
- Cream (100 gm)
- Unsalted butter
- Powdered sugar (2 tbsp.)
- Baking soda, baking powder
How to prepare Jeera Biscotti:
- First of all, add the cream along with powdered sugar and unsalted butter
- Add around ½ cup of whole wheat flour, ½ tbsp. of baking powder and ¼ tbsp. of baking soda
- Nicely whisk the mixture and add 1 tbsp. of salt
- You can use your hands to mix these ingredients until it turns moist
- Now, roll this mixture into a foil paper and place it in your freezer for around 30 mins
- Take it out, cut it into different shapes and bake it for around 20 mins at 170 °C
- Now, add jeera to it and preheat in the oven at 200 °C for around 15 mins
- Take out the Jeera Biscotti and enjoy it with your morning tea
Upma is a common breakfast dish in the western and southern parts of India. It is easy to prepare and offers great nutritional value. It is also one of the finest healthy recipes for senior citizens.
- Red millet Ragi flour (1 cup)
- Rava (½ cup)
- Oil (2 tbsp.)
- Mustard seeds (1 tbsp.)
- Hing, curry leaves (kadi patta), coriander
- Green chillies, onions, carrots
How to prepare Ragi Upma:
- You can start by roasting the ragi flour and rava on a griddle (non-stick tawa)
- Keep it on medium flame for around 4-5 mins
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add mustard seeds
- After a few minutes, add the hing, curry leaves, onions and green chillies
- Keep it on medium flame for around 1-2 mins and then add the carrots
- Allow it to heat on medium flame for another 1 minute and add the roasted ragi-rava mixture to it
- Again, heat it on medium flame for 1-2 mins and add 4 cups of hot water to it
- Now, stir it continuously while it heats on a slow flame for around 2-3 mins
- Finally, you can sprinkle some coriander on top and your Ragi Upma is ready
Drinking fruit juices regularly is one of the best ways to stay fit and healthy. Pineapple is a nutritional fruit that offers essential vitamins and may even boost immunity. It saves you a lot of time and is also one of the healthiest fruit juices that you can easily make at home.
- Sugar (2-3 tbsp.)
- Water (1 cup)
How to prepare Pineapple Juice:
- You can start by chopping or peeling the pineapple
- Place it in a blender and add 2-3 tbsp. of sugar
- You can add 1 cup of water
- Blend until it is smooth and then pour your pineapple juice in a glass using a strainer
Chicken Tikka Masala
This one is a treat for the non-veg lovers. A simple, mouth-watering recipe that saves a lot of your time and makes for an ideal addition to your diet. This Chicken Tikka Masala recipe also offers enough proteins and carbohydrates for your body.
- Boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- Onion, tomato, garlic cloves
- Garam masala, cumin, coriander
- Pepper, salt
- Steamed rice
How to prepare Chicken Tikka Masala:
- First, cut the onion and mix it with garlic and chicken breasts
- Place it in a cooker and put it on slow flame
- Now, take a large bowl and add tomato puree, yoghurt, garam masala, cumin and coriander
- Add black pepper with salt and stir all of this together
- Pour this mixture over the chicken and allow it to cook for sometime
- Once ready, you can serve your Chicken Tikka Masala along with steamed rice
This recipe is a unique version of our classic Indian dish – Aloo Gobi. Made from cauliflower and other aromatic spices, this healthy dish is one of the best nutritional snacks for the elderly.
- Cauliflower head
- Onion, coconut oil (1 tbsp.)
- Potatoes (2)
- 1 tbsp. of cumin, coriander and garam masala
- ½ tbsp. of ground mustard seeds, turmeric and chilli powder
- Salt, black pepper
- Slices of Naan (optional)
How to prepare Aloo Gobi:
- First, take a large pot and pour the oil in it. Heat on medium flame
- Add onion, cauliflower and potatoes
- Stir it well. Add cumin, garam masala, coriander, turmeric, ground mustard seeds and chilli powder
- Add salt and pepper
- Now, cover the pot and allow it to heat on slow flame
- Stir it occasionally for 15-18 minutes and then serve your Aloo Gobi along with the Naan slices
These were some of the best healthy recipes for senior citizens. They are delicious and ideal for a healthy lifestyle as well. You can also include various vegetables and water-rich fruits in your daily diet, as they offer essential vitamins, proteins and nutrients for your body.
Some of these recipes were shared during a Virtual Cooking Workshop. This workshop was a part of the Seniors Club initiative by Seniority. Here, senior citizens take part in engaging activities like Online Antakshari, Virtual Acupressure Sessions, Gardening Workshops and more.
You can click on the link given below to know about more such events and be a part of our Seniors Club.
Share this now :
Be a part of our evergreen community by joining us on our social media channels. Your presence will only help us grow bigger and serve you better. Stay in touch and interact with us on the channels below