In its literal sense - acupressure is acupuncture with no needles. It refers to the practice of applying manual pressure to specific energy points of the body.
Acupressure finds its roots in the principle of Chinese medicines that say – human body consists of invisible lines of energy flow called meridians or “qi.” It is said that there are at least 14 meridians that connect our organs to other parts of the body. Also, it is believed that acupuncture and acupressure are performed on these meridians.
These meridians begin at your fingertips and connect to the brain and then are connected to organs rather a network of organs – creating a channel of communication. Blocking the flow of energy at any point on a meridian can cause different types of symptoms and health conditions. Acupressure helps to restore the energy balance by applying pressure on specific points along these meridians.
Often people tend to get confused between acupressure and acupuncture. So, let’s clear that out first!
Both use the technique of applying pressure on several points on our body, but the way it is done differs.
In the case of acupressure, the pressure is applied manually by a practitioner on several body points. It is usually applied through fingertips, elbows, knuckles, etc.
Whereas in acupuncture, the pressure is applied using specially designed needles, which are placed strategically on several pressure points on the body.
Now that we have understood what acupressure is and how it works it let’s know its benefits for older adults.
Acupressure can offer an array of benefits to older adults as it helps in releasing endorphins, a hormone produced by our body that assists in relieving several ailments. Its use can prove to be advantageous in many ways such as for–
1. Cancer – Apart from relieving nausea caused by chemotherapy, acupressure can also help reduce stress, relieve pain, and improve energy levels.
2. Soothing the pain from an injury – By easing muscle tension and improving blood circulation, acupressure can help reduce pain significantly.
3. Arthritis – Acupressure helps promote anti-inflammatory effects, which in turn reduce the pain caused by arthritis.
4. Improving sleep – It is said that acupressure helps the body to relax and rest, thereby improving sleep quality.
5. Reducing digestive issues – Acupressure regulates the flow of energy throughout the body, making sure all systems are working smoothly. It also helps improve the functioning of the digestive system.
Acupressure, in itself, is pretty safe. If you’re planning to opt for acupressure treatment in case of cancer, arthritis, heart disease, or a chronic condition, then you must consult your doctor. Another important thing is to check whether the acupressure practitioner is licensed and certified.
1. Acupressure is often used as a diagnostic tool. If you press the right point on your hand and it feels tender or painful, then there’s a chance that the organ represented by that point needs repair. Because of this, it is possible to diagnose a condition in the early stages of its onset.
2. Acupressure can be cost-free since it can be practiced at home. Moreover, practicing it doesn’t need a lot of space either. Therefore, it can prove to be advantageous for people of all ages, and it doesn’t consume much time.
3. By unblocking several nerve impulses, acupressure reduces stress and tension. Practicing it on a daily basis will help the body recover and relax.
4. It is believed that women wear ornaments on specific pressure points on the body. For example, rings and nose pins are worn on locations associated with fertility and the proper functioning of the uterus.
1. Consult your doctor or the acupressure specialist before purchasing any acupressure product. For example, check whether you need a mat or a massager of a particular type.
2. Purchase the product from a reliable and trustworthy source - you can even compare the options available and make the right choice.
3. Understand your health requirements and check whether the products align with those.
4. Try opting for products that can be cleaned quickly and require low maintenance.
5. Ensure that the products are slip-free and made of durable material, especially if you're purchasing a mat.
6. Make sure that the product you buy doesn't lead to any pain - if it does, you need to consult your doctor right away.
Health Mat provides relief against aching feet and back. These ergonomically engineered mats absorb shock and promote perfect posture. They also help in reducing fatigue, relieving strain, and preventing the resultant health disorders.
This massager set identifies the most critical pressure points of the body to provide relief against pain. Using this set will have a therapeutic effect and increase the circulation of blood throughout the body.
This belt is studded with the miraculous stones called Tourmaline. It helps you feel relieved from pain, achieve your weight-loss goals, and provides various other wellness benefits too.
This massager set is beneficial for the entire body as it identifies the most important pressure points. It provides relief against stiffness and pain.
These slippers target organs of the body by applying pressure to the energy points related to those organs. They help in curing insomnia, neck pain, back pain, arthritis, lower energy levels, etc. These come in a universal size and fit men and women both.
Acupressure, if used for the right ailment at the right time, can prove to be very beneficial. You just need to consult a doctor before opting for it. If you don’t have any ailments, that shouldn’t be a worry – you can view this as a therapy for stress relief and better mental health. What are your takes on acupressure, let us know in the comment section below!
Share this now :
Be a part of our evergreen community by joining us on our social media channels. Your presence will only help us grow bigger and serve you better. Stay in touch and interact with us on the channels below