Diet & Exercise Tips for High Blood Pressure
Our lifestyle has changed; the food we eat, the kind of jobs we have, the schedules we keep All of these have impacted our health. Living a healthy and balanced lifestyle is a battle everyone is striving to achieve.
Young or old, many are having blood pressure issues, whether high blood pressure or low blood pressure. Many have issues with digestion. Most of us are constipated. The issues are multiple.
Today's blog focuses on the tips to live a better and healthy lifestyle with a special focus on blood pressure. These tips can be easily incorporated in your daily life schedule.
First, let's talk about maintaining your blood pressure level
High blood pressure is also known as hypertension, which is caused as the pressure that is developed on the walls of your vein with the blood flow is higher than the normal. If one does not maintain the blood pressure, it may result in developing some other health issues or severe consequences.
How to check if your high blood pressure issues:
Go for a check-up. The average human’s blood pressure is 120/80 (systolic/diastolic). Anything above that is considered high and anything below that is considered low. However, doctors consider ±10 to be normal.
Check your blood pressure within a gap of 3 days for a period of 10 days. If it is consistently high then it means that you suffer from high blood pressure.
While high blood pressure is a result of stress or genetics, you can control and maintain it by changing lifestyle. Simple regular exercises, a change in your diet and your sleeping pattern can help a lot to keep it under control.
So let’s see exercises can help in maintaining blood pressure.
Exercise to maintain blood pressure
- Walking helps you stay stress-free. Brisk walking helps in blood flow and losing weight. Losing weight can help you, especially, if you are overweight in medical terms. So head over for a morning or evening walk to regulate your blood pressure.
- You can choose various breathing exercises as it helps you to stay worry-free and relax your mind.
- Join a yoga class. Yoga relaxes the blood vessels and pressure on the walls.
- If possible, do cardio exercises in Gym—for instance, walking or jogging on a treadmill. You can also think if riding a bicycle if it is feasible for you.
- You can think of joining a dance class. It will relax your mind, and help you to reduce weight and stay happy.
- Apart from these simple changes, you can start devoting some time in doing meditation, which will help you to keep your mind at peace
Please consult your doctor before opting for any exercise or physical activity.
Diet to maintain blood pressure
It is advised to have a diet rich in potassium and calcium. In case you are having a problem with low blood pressure, carry sweets along with you every time, and eat something in equal intervals.
Choose foods, which are low in sodium, and foods that high in calcium, magnesium, and potassium. Let’s us see what should you avoid and what should you include.
- Junk food
- Packaged or Frozen Food
- Canned drinks or soup
- Higher consumption of Salt
What should you include in your daily diet?
- Leafy Vegetables - They are a good source of many key nutrients including potassium. You should eat spinach, kale, beet greens, green beans, avocado, etc.
- Beetroot - They are rich in nitric oxide, which will help to open up the blood vessels, and thus, help to maintain the high pressure by lowering it.
- Oatmeal - High in fibres and low-fat is a sure way to lower high blood pressure.
- Bananas - They are rich in potassium. They also help to lower the pressure.
- Garlic - Garlic is well-known for lowering hypertension and blood pressure.
- Pomegranates - Eat it early in the morning. It will help you to maintain high blood pressure.
These are a list of few foods that you can include in your diet to regulate your blood pressure. Apart from that, you can also take Epsom salt bath. It is well-known for stress relieving and lowering the palpitations of the heart. Also, vitamin C and dark chocolate—cocoa, are an excellent way to reduce blood pressure.
Checking our blood pressure regularly and incorporating these small lifestyle changes will help us keep our heart healthy and blood pressure regulated. As we all know, health is wealth, we must take care to ensure our body is fit and healthy.