1. Clear your browser's cache and cookies for Seniority.in
This should fix any common caching issues. To do this, you would just need to search online for the directions for your browser for deleting cookies from specific sites; for example, these are the directions for clearing in Google Chrome browser.
2. Log in from an incognito window or another browser.
If you are able to log in using one of these methods successfully, you may need to clear cookies for the browser you have used previously. For example, if you originally tried logging in with Safari, try Google Chrome.
For any queries : Call @ +91 87502 39239 (9AM to 9PM) or Email: email@example.com
World Health Day was on the 7th of April and we at Seniority celebrated last week as Seniority Health Week. Each day we had a specialist-doctor who did live chat with our Seniority community members on various health issues and topics. On 3rd April 2019, we had Neha Pundir- Nutritionist and Diabetes Educator. She resolved all the queries of the community members. Below are the queries asked by our various members, along with the solution.
If you wish to join our community on WhatsApp- Click on this link below.
Here are some queries along with the solution:
1. I wish to know how I can tighten up my sagging skin?
Ans: You can massage your body with carrot seed oil. Pilates + Yoga + weight training once a week will help a lot.
2. Can I take dry almonds to increase protein?
Ans: Yes, sure it can be taken. Almonds are a rich source of healthy fats and compact protein. Although it’s better to eat soaked almonds (soak 5-6 almonds overnight, in the morning, peel an eat it. If you have an issue in chewing, you can have it in powder form. Take 2 tablespoons of almond powder, mix it with a glass of milk before 1 hour of bedtime. It helps with protein intake plus in getting better sleep as well.
3. Why is protein intake necessary for seniors? Is there a prescribed quantity which is necessary for health?
Ans: Protein is the building block of the body. In the elderly, protein is required for the maintenance of the muscles and other body cells. Protein is also required for building the immunity system. Ideally, 50-60 g of protein for a person with an average height of 5ft to 5.7', weight = 45-60 kg is sufficient. Protein requirement with different height and weight of the individual will vary.
4. I go to the gym and the fitness expert emphasises on daily protein intake. In all the meals, a good amount of protein should be present. I am 42 years old. What would you suggest about protein intake per day? I’m on losing weight pattern.
Ans: Hi, please check the meal plan.
Breakfast = sprouts of moong or matki + curd, Poha + curd, vegetable stuffed 2 parathas + curd + half apple, 1 whole egg + 1-3 egg whites (boiled/ scrambled) + 1 fruit or 1-2 chapatti or bhakri + green vegetable + usal of moong or matki + 1 bowl curd
Lunch plate = 1 bowl of salad (cucumber + tomato) + 1 bowl of protein (egg whites / fish / chicken / sprouts of moong or matki / paneer) / bowl of dal (moong/ masoor / channa ), chole / rajma / kadhi / besan sabzi / + 1 bowl curd + 1 chapatti or bhakri or small bowl rice
Evening snack = 2-4 boiled egg whites/sprouts of moong/ matki /channa/besan chilla/moong dal chilla/glass of almond milk or cow milk
Dinner = 1 bowl of salad (cucumber + tomato) + 2 boiled egg white or medium bowl of sprouts + green coloured vegetable (big bowl) + half to 1 chapatti or bhakri.
5. We don't know the limit of protein intake. Could you please suggest.
Ans: We should have three servings of protein in a day- Lunch-Evening Snack and in
Dinner. Include moong dal, masoor dal, egg whites, chicken, fish, prawns, paneer, soybean, besan, sprouts, tofu, milk, curd, buttermilk, almonds, peanuts, walnuts in your meals.
For breakfast prefer fruits, vegetable juices, poha, idli, etc
6. What is the best source of protein for a vegetarian senior citizen? How can we alter our dental care with life-long food preferences?
Ans: Vegetarian sources of protein = moong dal, masoor dal, channa dal, paneer, soybean, besan, sprouts, milk, curd, buttermilk, almonds, peanuts, walnuts and tofu.
7. I have uric acid. My doctor has advised me to reduce protein intake, due to which my muscles are weakening. How should I manage that? Thanks.
Ans: We get a good amount of protein from vegetables also includes spinach, methi, in your diet. Have fruits like apples, strawberries, pomegranate, banana and grapes.
8. I'm planning for a baby through IVF. Doctor has advised me to take protein intakes. I take almonds daily in breakfast and two spoons protinex with milk morning and evening. Is it sufficient for my requirement??
Ans: Along with what you are having add these to your lunch/dinner = 1-4 boiled egg whites/ medium bowl of sprouts (moong /matki) it will be sufficient.
9. I am 5.5 with 72 kg weight ...do you suggest any good diet which can help me from losing my hair. I have noticed many hairballs recently. Thank you.
Ans: Hair fall is mostly triggered by stress, age, inadequate diet, lack of sleep and genetics. If you feel you have any of these common in your life you know the reason now. Coming to the solution: Diet = take half cup Amla juice in a cup of water every morning on waking up, along with the breakfast have 8 overnight soaked and peeled almonds before bed have a glass of milk with 1 tbsp ashwagandha powder. Other than this, work on reducing your stress levels and get enough sleep.
10. I’m 61-year vegetarian. My sugar is 250, how can I control my food intake?
Ans : On waking up = 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder in a cup of water
Breakfast = sprouts of mooong or matki + curd , Poha + curd , vegetable stuffed 2 paratha + curd + half apple , 1 whole egg + 1-3 egg whites (boiled/ scrambled ) + 1 fruit
11. I am 62 years old and I don't have major health problems. But I am underweighting for the past 10 years. Please suggest a diet of protein intake and a solution for good digestion.
Ans: For increasing weight, your food intake should be higher than your energy expenditure.
Start your day with soaked nuts and fruits like almonds, walnuts, raisins, figs. Have a healthy and filling breakfast like peanut smoothie, banana smoothie, oats smoothie, idli, dosa, upma, curd rice, along with a nice bowl of curd.
For lunch, try to have non-spicy food. It will help in digestion, and also will help you to increase the quantity of the food that you can eat at a time.
In the evening, have a glass of milk with a handful of nuts and fruit.
For dinner have something light like moong dal khichdi or chapatti with moong/masoor dal or egg bhurji with chapatti.
Before sleeping, have a glass of milk with 1 tablespoon ashwagandha powder and 2 tbsp jaggery into it. Do yoga to improve appetite and digestion every day.
Tip- Do not overeat otherwise you can suffer from indigestion. Though Gaining weight after the age of 35 is a challenge, but you can still try this meal plan and hopefully, it will give you good results.
12. Dr. Neha in your opinion, which fruits a diabetic should take and which they should avoid?
Ans: One should have one serving of fruits (with breakfast or as eve snack ) per day avoid lichi, chiku, banana. Have fruits like apple, guava, pomegranate, strawberries, pineapple, grapes, melons can be taken.
Pro tip- always keep changing the options. Don’t stick to only one type. Eat seasonal fruits.
13. What type of sugar substitute a diabetic person should have, Is there any recommendation on wheat flour or any other type of flour that a diabetic person should consume?
Ans: Sugar substitute = stevia leaves or drops. A diabetic person should have the kind of flour that suits him/her. For some people, wheat increases their sugar level, for some its jowar flour. So you need to monitor your sugar readings and maintain a food diary to understand what suits you.
You can try this flour recipe: 1 kg wheat + 250 g whole moong + 5 tablespoon flax seeds + 5 tablespoon methi seeds + 1 tablespoon ajwian seeds. Grind it all together to make flour and make chapattis. this mix mostly helps in regulating sugar levels and also improves digestion and helps in reducing the belly fat. Add ghee to meals to control sugar.
Share this now :
Be a part of our evergreen community by joining us on our social media channels. Your presence will only help us grow bigger and serve you better. Stay in touch and interact with us on the channels below